Some Virginia Silversmiths and Family Members
--published as black and white photos. (click to begin slide show of large images)
Some Advertisements by Virginia Silversmiths, Jewelers, Watch- & Clockmakers (click to begin slide show of large images)
First row: Catherine Jones Cooke; Wm.A. Cooke; Joseph H. Watson;
Second row: Benjamin Barton, Mary Ann Clarico Freeman; Joseph M. Freeman
Virginia Silversmiths~Lives and Marks
Click on the pdf to open pages for
John Adam or Samuel Brooks or Index of Marks
- American history through the context of the silversmith's world.
- Business history through ads, credit reports, mortgages, and inventories.
- Migration patterns into, within, and away from Virginia.
- Diversity of trades revealed through receipts, ledgers, diaries, and legal documents.
- Genealogical and kinship relationships.
- Confused identifications and attributions untangled.
- Exploration of the difference between maker and retailer marks.